11th Annual Garfield Park Conservatory County Fair
The show must go on, despite the recent hail damage. The Garfield Park Conservatory will still host the 11thAnnual County at 300 N. Central Park Ave. on Saturday, Sept. 17 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is $5. Ages 3 and under are free.
Garfield Park Conservatory’s County Fairis an annual event celebrating the annual harvest in an urban setting on Chicago’s west side. The event will illustrate for visitors traditional harvest practices and new possibilities in urban agriculture. The connection between plants, food and American heritage are highlighted through a variety of activities, demonstrations and entertainment planned for the day. As a family-focused event, the day is filled with the following activities:
- Hands-on activities, games and a Midway Fun area for kids
- Friendly Farms Ltd. petting zooand pony rides($1 fee)
- Compost demonstrationsby UIC Extension Master Composters
- StoryBus, a children’s museum on wheels, presents the 3 Little Pigs exhibit
- Show off your garden pride with photos, stories, and live specimens by participating in our Harvest Showcase. Call 773-638-1766 ext. 15 or email email@example.com. Click herefor more information.
- Live musicat our Traditional American Music Stage (bluegrass, jazz, calypso, and jug band)
- Beekeeping demonstrationsand information
- Honey tasting and sales
- Garden Tool Sharpening (Be sure to bring your gardening tools for sharpening)
- Recipe swap (Be sure to bring your favorite recipe for a special recipe swap)
- Food vendors and Farmer’s marketwith fresh produce from local farms
- Participate in country craft activitieswith corn husk dolls, corn husk tiaras, stick toys, and more!
Directions & Parking
Garfield Park Conservatory is located just fifteen minutes west of downtown. From I-290, exit Independence Avenue (3800 west) and travel north. Turn east onto Washington Blvd. Turn north onto Central Park Avenue (3600 west).
*As we will be hosting a majority of this event on our grounds and in our parking lot this year, please plan on parking on the street or Garfield Park’s field house parking lot, 100 N Central Park Ave.
Alternatively, take the CTA Green line and exit at Conservatory/Central Park Drive.
Conservatory Room Closures and Event Cancellations:
Due to the recent damage the Garfield Park Conservatory sustained from a severe hail storm, four of its public display houses have been closed and include: the Fern Room, the Show House, Desert House and the Aroid House.
In addition, the following events had to be cancelled: the Show House’s Summer Tropical Show, the Show House’s Winter Flower Show, Form in Flora 2 and Creatures of the Night.