9th Annual Polar Adventure Days Offer Families Three Days of Winter Fun at Northerly Island
The Chicago Park District presents the ninth annual Polar Adventure Days from 12 - 4 p.m. on three Saturdays, Dec. 7, Jan. 25 and Feb. 22, at Northerly Island, 1521 S. Linn White Dr., on the Museum Campus. The program is admission free. Click here to watch a video.
Polar Adventure Days offer families the opportunity to explore Northerly Island and come face-to-face with live animals, engage in winter activities, and create nature-inspired crafts. Participants are encouraged to dress for the weather as events take place both outdoors and inside the visitor center.
The following features and activities will be available at Polar Adventure Days:
• Various live animals will be on site to discover, such as birds of prey from Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation and coyotes from Big Run Wolf Ranch.
• Dog sledding demonstrations with huskies of Free Spirit Siberian Rescue.
• Live entertainment from The Dreamtree Shakers from Old Town School of Folk Music.
• Arts and craft tables led by different organization each month for making nature-inspired creations. December features Imagine Art; January features the Art Institute of Chicago; and February features the National Mexican Museum of Art.
• Toddler zone that features outdoor “ice fishing.”
• REI winter activity station.
• Free snowshoe rental for exploration of the island if there is enough snow.
• Free hot cocoa to the first 500 participants.
Please call to confirm scheduled activities for Polar Adventure Days as activities are subject to change. For more information, call 312-742-PLAY (7529).
Limited parking is available for $3, cash only, during Polar Adventure Days. Directions by car to Northerly Island:
Take Lake Shore Drive north or south to the 18th Street/Museum Campus exit. Follow Museum Campus Drive toward Adler Planetarium. Turn right on Linn White Drive. Go past the Charter One Pavilion (on left) and the Burnham Harbor Yacht Club (on right). The visitor center and free parking are on the left.
Northerly Island is also accessible by public transportation:
Take the #146 bus, exit at Linn White Drive and walk south to the visitor center.
Polar Adventure Days is sponsored by Bright Start College Savings, a 529 savings plan created and administered by the State of Illinois. It allows families to save money for children’s future education without paying taxes on any earnings. Learn more and enroll at www.brightstartsavings.com.