Algonquin Playlot Park

  • 2941 N. Washtenaw Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60618 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Teresa Wooldridge (Brands)
  • Park Phone: (312) 478-2414

This small playground is located in the Avondale neighborhood , two blocks east of California Avenue and approximately 1 ½ blocks north of Diversey Avenue.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Brands Park.

History

The City of Chicago created Algonquin Park in 1949, transferring it to the Chicago Park District in 1959. Created as a small gravel playlot, the site was rehabilitated in 1970, and again in 1990 as part of the park district’s soft surface playground program. For many years, the property was known as Washtenaw Park, presumably for the street on which it is located. In 1999, the park district changed the park's name to Algonquin to avoid confusion with a second Washtenaw Park on Chicago's south side. The Algonquins were a large family of Native American tribes linked by language. At one time, the Algonquins occupied territory extending from the east coast to the Rocky Mountains, a larger area of North America than any other Indian group. A number of Algonquin tribes lived in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. These included the Menominee, Sauk, Fox, Kickapoo, Mascouten, Potowatomi, and Miami.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Algonquin Playground

Algonquin PlaygroundAccessible

Location Notes: 2941 N. Washtenaw Ave.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This small playground is located in the Avondale neighborhood , two blocks east of California Avenue and approximately 1 ½ blocks north of Diversey Avenue.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Brands Park.

The City of Chicago created Algonquin Park in 1949, transferring it to the Chicago Park District in 1959. Created as a small gravel playlot, the site was rehabilitated in 1970, and again in 1990 as part of the park district’s soft surface playground program. For many years, the property was known as Washtenaw Park, presumably for the street on which it is located. In 1999, the park district changed the park's name to Algonquin to avoid confusion with a second Washtenaw Park on Chicago's south side. The Algonquins were a large family of Native American tribes linked by language. At one time, the Algonquins occupied territory extending from the east coast to the Rocky Mountains, a larger area of North America than any other Indian group. A number of Algonquin tribes lived in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. These included the Menominee, Sauk, Fox, Kickapoo, Mascouten, Potowatomi, and Miami.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.