Located in the Morgan Park community area, Almond Park is a park location used for passive recreation. Park patrons can relax in this open green space while enjoying the beauty of nature.
The oval-shaped tract of land now known as Almond Park was once the site of the Village of Morgan Park's water works. After the City of Chicago annexed the village in 1914, the city transferred the property to the Calumet Park District, one of 22 independent park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. The Calumet District took control of the water works site in 1920, but never improved it. Between 1934 and 1959, the property changed hands from the Chicago Park District to the city and back again. The park district officially named the tiny greenspace Almond Park in 1974. The park was one of a number of properties named for trees and plants at this time. The ancient almond tree, mentioned frequently in the Old Testament, had its origins in China. The tree produces the world's most popular nut. Almonds are rich in protein, amino acids, and many other essential ingredients.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.