Anderson Park totals 0.85 acres. Anderson Park is located in the Douglas community and takes its name from attorney Louis B. Anderson 2nd Ward alderman from 1917 to 1933. The Chicago City Council purchased the site of Anderson Park from the Olivet Baptist Church, one of Chicago’s oldest Black churches, in 1926 and the city’s Bureau of Parks began to develop the property the following year. In 1959, the city transferred Anderson Park to the Chicago Park District. Anderson Park has 4 outdoor basketball courts and sits adjacent to the Mayo School Campus and Wendell Phillips High School baseball field and children’s playground.Inside there is a gymnasium and a meeting room. Many of these spaces are available for rental, such as children’s parties or community meetings.
Park-goers can play basketball and baseball at the facility.After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.