Located in the Pullman community, Arcade Park is a park location used for passive recreation. Park patrons can relax in this open green space while enjoying the beauty of nature and a garden-like setting.
Arcade Park is one of two parks donated to the town of Pullman by its founder, George M. Pullman (1831-1899). (The other is nearby Pullman Park.) The City of Chicago acquired Arcade Park in 1909, transferring it to the Chicago Park District fifty years later. George Pullman vastly improved the comfort of long distance rail travel when he introduced the sleeping car that bears his name. In 1877, George Pullman began to purchase 3,500 acres on the western shore of Lake Calumet on which to build his new Pullman Palace Car Works. In 1880, he began construction of the enormous plant and surrounding company town. Pullman hired architect Solon S. Beman to design the town's buildings and Nathan F. Barrett to plan the landscape. The designers placed Arcade Park, with its formal "carpet bed" plantings, directly opposite the Arcade, an enormous iron and glass structure housing shops, a post office, a library, and a theater. Though its namesake park remains, the impressive building was demolished in 1926.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.