Barnard Playlot Park

  • 10431 S. Longwood Dr.   Chicago, Illinois 60643 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Ridge Park
  • Park Phone: (312) 747-6639

Located in the Beverly area, Barnard Park is a recreational destination enjoyed by neighborhood families. This park offers a playground with swings, slides, climbing apparatus, benches to relax and a space for picnics. Park patrons engage in a variety of activities including baseball and soccer.

History

On October 12, 1900, the Chicago Tribune reported that Erastus A. Barnard, an early settler of the Beverly community area, had donated approximately two acres of land to the city for a small park. At the time, this lovely area of rolling hills and large, stately homes had a small population. It was expected, however, that the area's recent annexation to Chicago would spur significant growth. The city agreed to make landscape improvements, install children's playground equipment, and name the park in honor of Mr. Barnard's deceased daughter, Amy L. Barnard. The nearby Alice Barnard School had previously been named for Amy Barnard's aunt, a teacher and local historian. By 1909, Barnard Park included playground equipment, tennis courts, a drinking fountain, a large wading pool, and a tool shed. For many years, the park's landscape was flooded for ice skating in the winter. During the 1930s and 1940s, between 2,000 and 5,000 skaters used the park each winter. The city transferred Barnard Park to the Chicago Park District along with more than 250 other sites in 1959. By 1966, the park district had replaced the original wading pool with a smaller spray pool, demolished the tool shed, installed new playground equipment, and planted additional trees.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Barnard Playground

Barnard Playground

Location Notes: 10431 S. Longwood Dr.

Notes: Renovated Summer 2014, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Located in the Beverly area, Barnard Park is a recreational destination enjoyed by neighborhood families. This park offers a playground with swings, slides, climbing apparatus, benches to relax and a space for picnics. Park patrons engage in a variety of activities including baseball and soccer.

On October 12, 1900, the Chicago Tribune reported that Erastus A. Barnard, an early settler of the Beverly community area, had donated approximately two acres of land to the city for a small park. At the time, this lovely area of rolling hills and large, stately homes had a small population. It was expected, however, that the area's recent annexation to Chicago would spur significant growth. The city agreed to make landscape improvements, install children's playground equipment, and name the park in honor of Mr. Barnard's deceased daughter, Amy L. Barnard. The nearby Alice Barnard School had previously been named for Amy Barnard's aunt, a teacher and local historian. By 1909, Barnard Park included playground equipment, tennis courts, a drinking fountain, a large wading pool, and a tool shed. For many years, the park's landscape was flooded for ice skating in the winter. During the 1930s and 1940s, between 2,000 and 5,000 skaters used the park each winter. The city transferred Barnard Park to the Chicago Park District along with more than 250 other sites in 1959. By 1966, the park district had replaced the original wading pool with a smaller spray pool, demolished the tool shed, installed new playground equipment, and planted additional trees.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.