Located in the Morgan Park community area, Bohn Park is a park location used for passive recreation. Park patrons can relax in this open green space while enjoying the beauty of nature.
Bohn Park is a small triangle of land bordering the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific rail line and depot in Chicago's Morgan Park community area. Set aside as parkland by real estate developers just after the Civil War, the site was initially known as Depot Park, and sometimes also called "The Common." In 1905, the Village of Morgan Park (annexed to Chicago in 1914) transferred the property to the newly-created Calumet Park District. This was one of 19 area park districts created to supplement the three original Chicago park commissions, the South, the West, and the Lincoln Park Commissions. The year after taking control of Depot Park, the Calumet Park District asked noted landscape architect Jens Jensen to design a plan for the park. At the time, Jensen was superintendent to the West Park Commission and ran a thriving private practice as well. In 1933, the Calumet Park District designated the site Henry J. Bohn Memorial Park. Henry Bohn (1855--), a publisher, was the Calumet District's first president, serving from 1903 through 1908. The Chicago Park District took control of Bohn Park in 1934, when the 22 local park boards were consolidated into a unified district.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.