A major construction project is underway at Daley Bicentennial Plaza.
The fieldhouse, playground, tennis courts, and skating rink are currently closed and will remain closed during construction.
• 2014 day camp will take place at the Lincoln Park South Fieldhouse
• Children’s programs are accommodated at Northerly Island, 1521 S. Linn White Dr. and adult fitness programs at Lake Shore Park, 808 N. Lake Shore Dr.
• Alternate locations for playgrounds include Lake Shore Park; Lakeshore East, 450 E. Benton Pl.; Seneca Playlot Park, 220 E. Chicago Ave.; Burnham Park, 5491 S. Lake Shore Dr.; Roosevelt Park, 62 W. Roosevelt Rd.; and Jones Park, 1240 S. Plymouth Ct.
• Alternate tennis court locations include Grant Park, 900 S. Columbus Dr., Lake Shore Park; Dunbar Park, 300 E. 31st St., Lincoln Park, 3700 N. Recreation Dr.; and Skinner Park, 1331 W. Monroe St.
• Alternate skate rink locations include Millennium Park operated by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, 201 E. Randolph St.; McFetridge Sports Center, 3843 N. California Ave.; and Midway Plaisance, 1130 Midway Plaisance.
The dramatic transformation of this space will result in the new Maggie Daley Park.
Learn more about this new park and the construction project.
Proudly referred to as Chicago's "front yard," Grant Park is among the city's loveliest and most prominent parks. The site of three world-class museums: the Art Institute, the Field Museum of Natural History and the Shedd Aquarium. The park includes the museum campus, a 1995 transformation of paved areas into beautiful greenspace. Grant Park's centerpiece is the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain, built in 1927 to provide a monumental focal point while protecting the park's breathtaking lakefront views. Grant Park's beginnings date to 1835, when citizens, fearing commercial lakefront development, lobbied to protect the open space. As a result, the park's original area east of Michigan Avenue was designated "public ground forever to remain vacant of buildings." Officially named Lake Park in 1847, the site soon suffered from lakefront erosion. The Illinois Central Railroad agreed to build a breakwater to protect the area in exchange for permission for an offshore train trestle. After the Great Fire of 1871, the area between the shore and trestle became a dump site for piles of charred rubble, the first of many landfill additions. In 1901, the city transferred the park to the South Park Commission, which named it for Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885), 18th President of the United States. Renowned architect Daniel H. Burnham envisioned Grant Park as a formal landscape with museums and civic buildings. However, construction was stalled by lawsuits launched by mail-order magnate Aaron Montgomery Ward, who sought to protect the park's open character. Finally, in 1911, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled in Ward's favor. New landfill at the park's southern border allowed construction of the Field Museum to begin, and the park evolved slowly. In 1934, the South Park Commission was consolidated into the Chicago Park District, which completed improvements using federal relief funds. At the turn of the 21st century, the north end of Grant Park is undergoing a multi-million-dollar facelift, as old railbeds are transformed into Millennium Park, a major landscape and festival site.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.