De George Playlot Park

  • 4901 W. Wabansia Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60639 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Tom Versen (Blackhawk Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 746-5014

This park sits on approximately ¼ acre of land with a soft surface play area for community children. It is located in the Austin community: one block west of Cicero and 2 blocks north of North Avenue. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Blackhawk Park.

History

DeGeorge Park is one of many small parks created to meet increasing recreational demands in post-World War II Chicago. The city selected the Austin neighborhood park site in 1954. Improving the property with playground equipment and a basketball court, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation dedicated the new park in August of 1956. The following month, the city named the site for Bernice C. DeGeorge (--1956), a local activist who led the fight to transform the property into parkland. Unfortunately, DeGeorge died on April 27, 1956, before seeing her dream of a neighborhood park just a few steps from her home fully realized. In 1959, the city transferred DeGeorge Park and more than 250 other properties to the Chicago Park District. Over the years, the park district further improved the site, planting trees in 1964, and adding a new soft surface play area in 1992.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This park sits on approximately ¼ acre of land with a soft surface play area for community children. It is located in the Austin community: one block west of Cicero and 2 blocks north of North Avenue. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Blackhawk Park.

DeGeorge Park is one of many small parks created to meet increasing recreational demands in post-World War II Chicago. The city selected the Austin neighborhood park site in 1954. Improving the property with playground equipment and a basketball court, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation dedicated the new park in August of 1956. The following month, the city named the site for Bernice C. DeGeorge (--1956), a local activist who led the fight to transform the property into parkland. Unfortunately, DeGeorge died on April 27, 1956, before seeing her dream of a neighborhood park just a few steps from her home fully realized. In 1959, the city transferred DeGeorge Park and more than 250 other properties to the Chicago Park District. Over the years, the park district further improved the site, planting trees in 1964, and adding a new soft surface play area in 1992.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.