Dickinson Playlot Park

  • 4101 N. Lavergne Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60641 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Debbie Groh (Portage Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 685-7235

This approximately 2/3-acre park contains a spray pool and a playground. It is located in the Portage Park community (one block north of Irving Park Road, two blocks west of Milwaukee Avenue). Over the years, the park has been upgraded, most recently with a soft surface playground. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs at nearby Portage Park.

History

In 1909, Special Park Commission member Albert F. Keeney convinced Arthur W. Dickinson and his wife, Charlotte, to donate a small triangle of land in their subdivision to the City of Chicago for park development. The commission transplanted six young elm trees there in 1910, and excavated, filled and regraded the site four years later. After the Special Park Commission was disbanded in 1915, the shaded park passed to the Bureau of Parks and Recreation, which in turn transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. By that time, Dickinson Park was being used as a playlot.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Dickinson Playground

Dickinson PlaygroundAccessible

Location Notes: 4101 N. Lavergne Ave.

Dickinson Spray Pool

Dickinson Spray Pool

Location Notes: 4101 N. Lavergne Ave.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This approximately 2/3-acre park contains a spray pool and a playground. It is located in the Portage Park community (one block north of Irving Park Road, two blocks west of Milwaukee Avenue). Over the years, the park has been upgraded, most recently with a soft surface playground. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs at nearby Portage Park.

In 1909, Special Park Commission member Albert F. Keeney convinced Arthur W. Dickinson and his wife, Charlotte, to donate a small triangle of land in their subdivision to the City of Chicago for park development. The commission transplanted six young elm trees there in 1910, and excavated, filled and regraded the site four years later. After the Special Park Commission was disbanded in 1915, the shaded park passed to the Bureau of Parks and Recreation, which in turn transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. By that time, Dickinson Park was being used as a playlot.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.