Durso Playlot Park

  • 421 W. Locust St.   Chicago, Illinois 60610 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Jordan Losiak
  • Park Phone: (312) 742-2410

Durso Playlot Park is located in the Near North Community. The park features a playground and basketball courts. It is an active community park.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Jesse White Park and Community Center

History

Durso Park's Near North Side community is among the oldest sections of Chicago. Filled with industry and worker housing before 1900, the western portion of the community became increasingly blighted during the first decades of the 20th century. In an effort to rid the area of its deteriorating housing, the Chicago Housing Authority in 1943 constructed the Frances Cabrini Homes, a 586-unit complex of row houses and garden apartments. Fifteen years later, CHA expanded Cabrini, more than tripling the size of the original public housing development. To create parkland for the Cabrini complex, the city began leasing a parcel of nearby land from the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago in 1948. The new park soon included a shelter house and sand box, as well as a playfield that could be flooded for skating in winter. After assuming management of the park in 1959, the Chicago Park District constructed volleyball and basketball courts, a recreation building, and a spray pool during the following decade. In 1977, the park district formally acquired the property and an adjacent vacant lot from the Archdiocese, more than doubling the park's size. Game tables and a soft surface playground were added in subsequent years. Known for years as Hudson Park for adjacent Hudson Street, in April, 1979 the park was renamed in honor of John R. Durso (---), a neighborhood resident with a long history of service to the community. Durso demonstrated an ongoing interest in the needs of the area's underprivileged children, sponsoring various activities including the local scouting program. Needy neighborhood families also benefitted from his generosity during the Christmas season.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Durso Basketball

Durso Basketball

Location Notes: 421 W. Locust St.

Durso Playground

Durso PlaygroundAccessible

Descriptors: Engineered Wood Fiber Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Durso Playlot Park is located in the Near North Community. The park features a playground and basketball courts. It is an active community park.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Jesse White Park and Community Center

Durso Park's Near North Side community is among the oldest sections of Chicago. Filled with industry and worker housing before 1900, the western portion of the community became increasingly blighted during the first decades of the 20th century. In an effort to rid the area of its deteriorating housing, the Chicago Housing Authority in 1943 constructed the Frances Cabrini Homes, a 586-unit complex of row houses and garden apartments. Fifteen years later, CHA expanded Cabrini, more than tripling the size of the original public housing development. To create parkland for the Cabrini complex, the city began leasing a parcel of nearby land from the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago in 1948. The new park soon included a shelter house and sand box, as well as a playfield that could be flooded for skating in winter. After assuming management of the park in 1959, the Chicago Park District constructed volleyball and basketball courts, a recreation building, and a spray pool during the following decade. In 1977, the park district formally acquired the property and an adjacent vacant lot from the Archdiocese, more than doubling the park's size. Game tables and a soft surface playground were added in subsequent years. Known for years as Hudson Park for adjacent Hudson Street, in April, 1979 the park was renamed in honor of John R. Durso (---), a neighborhood resident with a long history of service to the community. Durso demonstrated an ongoing interest in the needs of the area's underprivileged children, sponsoring various activities including the local scouting program. Needy neighborhood families also benefitted from his generosity during the Christmas season.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.