This small playground is located in the East Garfield Park Community. The park features a playground. It is an active community park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Garfield Park for recreation in the gym and fun in the outdoor pool and get in shape at the Fitness Center or enjoy a game of soccer or football on the artificial turf.
Gladys Park is one of many small parks created by the Bureau of Parks and Recreation to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. The city acquired this .29-acre property along West Gladys Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood in 1947. The Bureau developed the site as a playlot shortly thereafter, transferring it to the Chicago Park District in 1959.
The park takes its name from the adjacent street. Gladys Avenue is named for Gladys Gunderson, a member of the Norwegian-American family that formed a successful 19th-century Chicago real estate firm, S.T. Gunderson & Sons. The family named another city street, Langley Avenue, for a second relative, Esther Gunderson Langley. Langley Park also bears her name.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.