Located in the Englewood community, Hermitage Park totals 1.08 acres and features a multi-purpose clubroom. Outside, the park offers a multi-purpose field, playground, spray pool, volleyball/tennis courts. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our ball fields.
Park-goers can participate in seasonal sports, Teen Club, Sports Club. The Park Kids after school program is offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth attend the Park District’s popular six-week day camp. Specialty camps are offered in the summer as well, and include dance and sports camp.
In addition to programs, Hermitage Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family including holiday-themed events.
Hermitage Park is one of many city parks created to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. Established by the Bureau of Parks and Recreation in 1949, by the following year the four-acre site had playground equipment, a shelter house, and an athletic field. In 1959, the city transferred the West Englewood community park to the Chicago Park District. Installing a new spray pool in 1966, the park district made subsequent improvements over the years, including a 1991 soft surface playground. At one time, Chicago had two properties named Hermitage Park. The other one, located on Hermitage Avenue in Chicago's North Center community, was renamed Helen Zatterberg Park in 2004. Hermitage Park's name pays tribute to the nation's seventh president, Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), whose Nashville, Tennessee estate is known as "The Hermitage." Chicago's Jackson Boulevard also honors the former president.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.