Jackson Playlot Park

  • 4319 S. Indiana Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60653 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Vacant
  • Park Phone: (312) 747-6728

This small playground is located in the Grand Boulevard Community.  

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Taylor Park in Bronzeville for recreation in the gym and fun in the outdoor pool and get in shape at the Fitness Center or boxing ring.

In 1914, the City of Chicago purchased the site of Robert J. Jackson Park for use as a municipal tuberculosis sanitarium. After the sanitarium closed, Robert J. Jackson (--1942), 3rd Ward alderman from 1918 to 1939, urged the city to convert the site to parkland. By 1950, the new park had been named in Jackson's honor, and the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had improved it with a spray pool, a sand box, and playground equipment. In 1959, the city began leasing the quarter-acre playlot to the Chicago Park District, which gained full ownership in 1981.

History

In 1914, the City of Chicago purchased the site of Robert J. Jackson Park for use as a municipal tuberculosis sanitarium. After the sanitarium closed, Robert J. Jackson (--1942), 3rd Ward alderman from 1918 to 1939, urged the city to convert the site to parkland. By 1950, the new park had been named in Jackson's honor, and the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had improved it with a spray pool, a sand box, and playground equipment. In 1959, the city began leasing the quarter-acre playlot to the Chicago Park District, which gained full ownership in 1981.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This small playground is located in the Grand Boulevard Community.  

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Taylor Park in Bronzeville for recreation in the gym and fun in the outdoor pool and get in shape at the Fitness Center or boxing ring.

In 1914, the City of Chicago purchased the site of Robert J. Jackson Park for use as a municipal tuberculosis sanitarium. After the sanitarium closed, Robert J. Jackson (--1942), 3rd Ward alderman from 1918 to 1939, urged the city to convert the site to parkland. By 1950, the new park had been named in Jackson's honor, and the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had improved it with a spray pool, a sand box, and playground equipment. In 1959, the city began leasing the quarter-acre playlot to the Chicago Park District, which gained full ownership in 1981.

In 1914, the City of Chicago purchased the site of Robert J. Jackson Park for use as a municipal tuberculosis sanitarium. After the sanitarium closed, Robert J. Jackson (--1942), 3rd Ward alderman from 1918 to 1939, urged the city to convert the site to parkland. By 1950, the new park had been named in Jackson's honor, and the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had improved it with a spray pool, a sand box, and playground equipment. In 1959, the city began leasing the quarter-acre playlot to the Chicago Park District, which gained full ownership in 1981.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.