Jacob Playlot Park

  • 4674 N Virginia Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60625 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Thomas McManamon (Horner Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 478-3499

Located in the Lincoln Square neighborhood (two blocks south of Lawrence Avenue, and seven blocks west of Lincoln Avenue), Jacob Park features a playground with slides and swings, plus a sandbox for an afternoon of activities.

As part of the ChicagoPlays! playground renovation program the playlot received a new colorful playground. It's a great place for the kiddos and families to hang out and play!  

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Horner, River, and Welles Park.

History

In 1913, New York real estate developer William Harmon began subdividing property on both sides of the North Branch of the Chicago River to create the lovely Ravenswood Manor and Ravenswood Gardens neighborhoods. Residents soon voted to form their own park district, electing Mrs. Helen Meder the first president of its board. The new Ravenswood Manor Garden Park District was progressive -- electing a woman president, taking positions against river pollution, and stopping illegal dumping in vacant lots. However, the district had limited resources and could only afford to create very small parks. In 1915, the park district began slowly acquiring land for what became known as Jacob Park. The board had hoped to construct a building in the park, however few improvements were made. For years, the park was little more than a vacant lot. Although neighborhood children played baseball there, in 1928, the park board decided to sell the land. When the "for sale" sign went up, local residents protested, and the sign was quickly removed. Finally, in the early 1930s, the landscape was planted, and a sand box installed. In 1934, Jacob Park became part of the newly-formed Chicago Park District. Thirty years later, the park district installed a substantial playground, which was updated in 1991. Although long known as Jacob Park, the name may have resulted from a clerical mistake. It was originally listed as Virginia Park, but in the early 1930s, it became known by area residents as Jaeger Park in honor of Otto Jaeger a member of the Ravenswood Manor Garden Park District board from 1922 to 1934. As there is no record of the name change from Jaeger to Jacob Park, it seems likely a recording error was made during the administrative transfer to the Chicago Park District .

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Jacob Playground

Jacob Playground

Location Notes: 4674 N.Virginia Ave.

Notes: Renovated Fall 2013, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Jacob Sandbox

Jacob Sandbox

Location Notes: 4674 N.Virginia Ave.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Located in the Lincoln Square neighborhood (two blocks south of Lawrence Avenue, and seven blocks west of Lincoln Avenue), Jacob Park features a playground with slides and swings, plus a sandbox for an afternoon of activities.

As part of the ChicagoPlays! playground renovation program the playlot received a new colorful playground. It's a great place for the kiddos and families to hang out and play!  

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Horner, River, and Welles Park.

In 1913, New York real estate developer William Harmon began subdividing property on both sides of the North Branch of the Chicago River to create the lovely Ravenswood Manor and Ravenswood Gardens neighborhoods. Residents soon voted to form their own park district, electing Mrs. Helen Meder the first president of its board. The new Ravenswood Manor Garden Park District was progressive -- electing a woman president, taking positions against river pollution, and stopping illegal dumping in vacant lots. However, the district had limited resources and could only afford to create very small parks. In 1915, the park district began slowly acquiring land for what became known as Jacob Park. The board had hoped to construct a building in the park, however few improvements were made. For years, the park was little more than a vacant lot. Although neighborhood children played baseball there, in 1928, the park board decided to sell the land. When the "for sale" sign went up, local residents protested, and the sign was quickly removed. Finally, in the early 1930s, the landscape was planted, and a sand box installed. In 1934, Jacob Park became part of the newly-formed Chicago Park District. Thirty years later, the park district installed a substantial playground, which was updated in 1991. Although long known as Jacob Park, the name may have resulted from a clerical mistake. It was originally listed as Virginia Park, but in the early 1930s, it became known by area residents as Jaeger Park in honor of Otto Jaeger a member of the Ravenswood Manor Garden Park District board from 1922 to 1934. As there is no record of the name change from Jaeger to Jacob Park, it seems likely a recording error was made during the administrative transfer to the Chicago Park District .

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.