Junction Grove Playlot Park

  • 345 W. 64th St.   Chicago, Illinois 60621 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Stacey Lowe
  • Park Phone: (312) 747-6572

Located in the Englewood community, Junction Grove Playground is an ideal location for families to spend a portion of their day relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. This park contains a playground with swings, slides, water fountain, along with benches to enjoy a picnic.

History

The Chicago Park District purchased the site of this playlot in 1973 with the help of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The park was officially named Junction Grove Park in 1998. Until 1867, Junction Grove was the name used for Englewood, the community in which the park is located. The earliest arrivals to the area settled amidst a grove or forest of what historian A.T. Andreas described as "luxuriant oak trees," which the settlers soon "wantonly cut down." By the early 1850s, the village was the site of a junction between several railroad lines, including the Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana, the Rock Island, the Wabash, and the Fort Wayne.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Junction Grove Playground

Junction Grove PlaygroundAccessible

Location Notes: 345 W. 64th St.

Descriptors: Engineered Wood Fiber Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Located in the Englewood community, Junction Grove Playground is an ideal location for families to spend a portion of their day relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. This park contains a playground with swings, slides, water fountain, along with benches to enjoy a picnic.

The Chicago Park District purchased the site of this playlot in 1973 with the help of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The park was officially named Junction Grove Park in 1998. Until 1867, Junction Grove was the name used for Englewood, the community in which the park is located. The earliest arrivals to the area settled amidst a grove or forest of what historian A.T. Andreas described as "luxuriant oak trees," which the settlers soon "wantonly cut down." By the early 1850s, the village was the site of a junction between several railroad lines, including the Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana, the Rock Island, the Wabash, and the Fort Wayne.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.