Keeler Playlot Park

  • 1243 S. Keeler Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60651 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Jacquelyn Anderson (Franklin Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 747-7676

This small playground is located in the North Lawndale Community.  It is an active community park. The playground was renovated in 2016 as part of Mayor Emanuel’s Chicago Plays! Program.   

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Franklin Park for recreation.

History

Keeler Park is one of many playgrounds established by the City of Chicago after World War II. Sandwiched onto a single city lot in the North Lawndale neighborhood, Keeler Park was placed in operation in 1955 after the Bureau of Parks and Recreation installed a slide, jungle gym, swing set, and merry-go-round. In 1959, the city transferred the playlot to the Chicago Park District, which rehabilitated the long, narrow playground in 1992.Keeler Park and the adjacent street honor Constable Cyrus Keeler. In 1855, Keeler bravely calmed rioters angry over tavern license fees, Sunday laws, and discrimination against immigrants.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Keeler Playground

Keeler PlaygroundAccessible

Notes: Renovated in 2016, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Descriptors: Engineered Wood Fiber Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This small playground is located in the North Lawndale Community.  It is an active community park. The playground was renovated in 2016 as part of Mayor Emanuel’s Chicago Plays! Program.   

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Franklin Park for recreation.

Keeler Park is one of many playgrounds established by the City of Chicago after World War II. Sandwiched onto a single city lot in the North Lawndale neighborhood, Keeler Park was placed in operation in 1955 after the Bureau of Parks and Recreation installed a slide, jungle gym, swing set, and merry-go-round. In 1959, the city transferred the playlot to the Chicago Park District, which rehabilitated the long, narrow playground in 1992.Keeler Park and the adjacent street honor Constable Cyrus Keeler. In 1855, Keeler bravely calmed rioters angry over tavern license fees, Sunday laws, and discrimination against immigrants.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.