Kenmore Playlot Park

  • 3141 N. Kenmore Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60657 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Michelle Baldwin (Sheil Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 742-7826

This tiny park is located in the Lakeview neighborhood (1/2 block south of Belmont Avenue, three blocks east of Racine Avenue). It contains a playground with a playslab. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Sheil Park.

History

Kenmore Park is one of many small parks created by the Bureau of Parks and Recreation to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. After identifying this .14-acre site Lakeview neighborhood site in 1954, the city acquired the property using Playground Bond Funds and installed playground equipment and a half-basketball court. Following its practice of the time, the city named the park for the adjacent street. Kenmore Avenue takes its name from the Fredericksburg, Virginia, home of Colonel Fielding Lewis (1725-c.1782), the husband of George Washington's sister, Betty. The city transferred Kenmore Park to the Chicago Park District in 1959. In the late 1980s, teenagers and adults playing basketball routinely disturbed neighbors and drove younger children from the park. Therefore, the park district removed the half-court and original playground equipment and installed a new soft surface playground with swingsets and climbing apparatus, devoting the park entirely to young children.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Kenmore Playground

Kenmore PlaygroundAccessible

Notes: Renovated Fall 2013 - Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Descriptors: Engineered Wood Fiber Surface

Events

JUL
27
use_mozart_chalk_art

Artmobile at Kenmore

Location: Kenmore Playlot Park, Chicago, IL  IL

AUG
3
use_mozart_chalk_art

Artmobile at Kenmore

Location: Kenmore Playlot Park, Chicago, IL  IL

AUG
10
use_mozart_chalk_art

Artmobile at Kenmore

Location: Kenmore Playlot Park, Chicago, IL  IL

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This tiny park is located in the Lakeview neighborhood (1/2 block south of Belmont Avenue, three blocks east of Racine Avenue). It contains a playground with a playslab. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Sheil Park.

Kenmore Park is one of many small parks created by the Bureau of Parks and Recreation to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. After identifying this .14-acre site Lakeview neighborhood site in 1954, the city acquired the property using Playground Bond Funds and installed playground equipment and a half-basketball court. Following its practice of the time, the city named the park for the adjacent street. Kenmore Avenue takes its name from the Fredericksburg, Virginia, home of Colonel Fielding Lewis (1725-c.1782), the husband of George Washington's sister, Betty. The city transferred Kenmore Park to the Chicago Park District in 1959. In the late 1980s, teenagers and adults playing basketball routinely disturbed neighbors and drove younger children from the park. Therefore, the park district removed the half-court and original playground equipment and installed a new soft surface playground with swingsets and climbing apparatus, devoting the park entirely to young children.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.