Kiwanis Park

  • 3315 W. Carmen Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60625 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Tracy Brumley (Eugene Field Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 478-9744

This passive river walk area is located on two acres in the North Park neighborhood (one block south of Foster Avenue, approximately 2 ½ blocks west of Kedzie) right along the Chicago River.

With a small recreation area adjacent to the natural landscaping an artificial turf field was installed. You may see community members playing a friendly game of soccer or football on any given day. For rental information, please contact the staff at Eugene Field Park.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Eugene Field Park.

History

Kiwanis Park was the first of three parks created by the Albany Park District, one of 22 independent park boards consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. Established in 1917, the Albany Park District had two aims: to beautify the banks of the Chicago River's North Branch, which flows through the area, and to provide up-to-date park facilities for its rapidly-expanding population. To these ends, the park district purchased a triangular property on the north bank of the river in 1923. Improvements began immediately. In 1926, the park district erected a small brick fieldhouse designed by Clarence Hatzfeld, architect of a number of Chicago park buildings. The following year, the park was dedicated in honor of the Kiwanis Club of Albany Park for their civic and charitable service to the community. Kiwanis Park is now used exclusively for passive recreation. The original fieldhouse and playground equipment were razed in 1975 due to ongoing problems with vandalism. The park, which lies adjacent to Von Stueben High School (as well as to North Park College & Seminary), has been jointly operated by the Chicago Park District and the Board of Education since 1997 as part of their "Campus Park" initiative.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Kiwanis Park - El Chuzo Inc.

Kiwanis Park - El Chuzo Inc.

Location: 3315 W. Carmen Ave.

Hours: ,

Phone: (773)816-3025

Descriptors: Food & Beverage

Kiwanis Football/Soccer

Kiwanis Football/Soccer

Location Notes: 3315 W. Carmen Ave.

Notes: Located directly behind VonStueben H.S.

Descriptors: Artificial Turf

River Walk

River Walk

Location Notes: 3315 W. Carmen Ave.

Notes: Runs from Carmen Ave. to Kimball

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This passive river walk area is located on two acres in the North Park neighborhood (one block south of Foster Avenue, approximately 2 ½ blocks west of Kedzie) right along the Chicago River.

With a small recreation area adjacent to the natural landscaping an artificial turf field was installed. You may see community members playing a friendly game of soccer or football on any given day. For rental information, please contact the staff at Eugene Field Park.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Eugene Field Park.

Kiwanis Park was the first of three parks created by the Albany Park District, one of 22 independent park boards consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. Established in 1917, the Albany Park District had two aims: to beautify the banks of the Chicago River's North Branch, which flows through the area, and to provide up-to-date park facilities for its rapidly-expanding population. To these ends, the park district purchased a triangular property on the north bank of the river in 1923. Improvements began immediately. In 1926, the park district erected a small brick fieldhouse designed by Clarence Hatzfeld, architect of a number of Chicago park buildings. The following year, the park was dedicated in honor of the Kiwanis Club of Albany Park for their civic and charitable service to the community. Kiwanis Park is now used exclusively for passive recreation. The original fieldhouse and playground equipment were razed in 1975 due to ongoing problems with vandalism. The park, which lies adjacent to Von Stueben High School (as well as to North Park College & Seminary), has been jointly operated by the Chicago Park District and the Board of Education since 1997 as part of their "Campus Park" initiative.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.