This 50-acre, oblong park straddles three neighborhoods: West Ridge, Lincoln Square, and North Park. This large park features two junior baseball fields, two playslabs with basketball standards, two tennis courts, four playgrounds, a roller hockey area, a nature area, and a bicycle path. The ornamental fountain and oversized flower beds provides a great backdrop for wedding photos.
The park’s northern border starts at Peterson Avenue, the southern border ends at Foster Avenue, and its west side abuts Kedzie / Jersey Avenues. If you are interested in renting one of the athletic fields or other amenities, please contact River Park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby River Park.
Legion Park was created by the River Park District, one of 22 independent park systems consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. Residents of northwest Chicago established the Ridge Park District in 1917 specifically to promote recreational opportunities along the North Shore Channel and the nearby North Branch of the Chicago River. Therefore, when the board of the Sanitary District of Chicago offered to lease a 330-foot, 18-acre stretch of the channel's east bank in 1930, the River Park District readily accepted.
The park district named the site Legion Park to honor veterans who served in the World War I U.S. Expeditionary Forces, and promptly began improvements, installing a playground, a volleyball court, a softball field, and an outdoor gymnasium. In 1933, the Garden Club of the Peterson Woods Improvement Association planted a flower garden in the park.
The following year, in the depths of the Depression, the Illinois Relief Commission erected a rustic bridge across the channel at Ardmore Avenue. All 22 of the city's independent park boards were consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. In 1962, the park district began to lease additional property on both sides of the channel. Seven years later, the park district leased still more land, bringing total park acreage to 48.35 acres. Over time, the park district has installed and improved concrete walkways, bike paths, and playgrounds along the length of Legion Park.
In 1999, the park district purchased .4 acres of land at the corner of Lincoln and Peterson Avenues from the Public Building Commission, and removed a neighborhood eyesore, a dilapidated motel. This property, with its new ornamental fountain, will serve as a gateway to the park
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.