This small playground is located in the North Lawndale Community. The park features playground apparatus. It is an active community park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Moore Park for recreation.
London Park is one of many playgrounds established by the City of Chicago after World War II. The city purchased the park site in 1954, a time of declining population in North Lawndale. Five years later, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation transferred the playlot to the Chicago Park District. In the early 1990s, the park district rehabilitated the playground as part of its soft surface playground intiative. The park honors Louis L. London (1892-1953), 24th Ward Alderman and a strong proponent of playground development in Chicago. London, a long-time public servant and charter member of the 24th Ward Democratic Organization, served as chairman of the City Council's Committee on Health. Before his election as alderman in 1947, London spent 14 years as director of personnel for the Chicago Board of Health. Prior to that, he served for a decade as a bailiff in Superior Court of Cook County.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.