Located in the Washington Heights neighborhood, Marshfield Playground is a recreational destination enjoyed by park patrons and their families.This park contains a playground with swings, slides, climbing equipment, a basketball court and an interactive sprinkler. Along with playing basketball, this park is used for passive recreation by park patrons.
Marshfield Park was one of 42 playgrounds and playlots developed by the city in 1950 to meet the recreational needs of post-World War II Chicago. After purchasing a three-quarter-acre property in Auburn Gresham using Playground Bond Funds, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation soon improved the site with playground equipment, a sand box, a volleyball court, and an athletic field. An existing brick building was remodeled as a fieldhouse. Following its general practice, the bureau named the park for adjacent Marshfield Avenue. The street apparently takes its name from the marshy territory it traversed before drainage was improved in the late 19th century.
In 1959, the city transferred Marshfield Park to the Chicago Park District. In 1966, the park district re-paved and re-planted the park, and added a spray pool and basketball court in following years. During the 1990s, a soft surface playground was added, and the deteriorating recreation building razed.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.