Matanky Playlot Park

  • 6925 N. Ridge Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60626 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Tanya Dillard-Baldwin (Paschen Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 262-5871

This small playground with sandbox is located in the Rogers Park neighborhood (on Ridge Avenue, two blocks north of Pratt Boulevard). Visitors will also find a small open green space that is ideal for a small picnic with their children. During the summer for 6-weeks, the park gets a visit from the Craftmobile once a week.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Paschen Park

History

Created in 1912, Matanky Park, originally known as Morse Park, was the first of four parks created by the Ridge Avenue Park District. The Ridge Avenue district was among 19 neighborhood park commissions established after 1896 to serve areas recently annexed to the city. When Rogers Park residents decided to form a park district in 1895, a bitter fight immediately arose between two local factions. Farmers living in West Rogers Park resented the prospect of being taxed for lake front improvements by east side "silk stockings." The farmers, derisively called "cabbage heads" by the east siders, fought to establish their own park district west of the Northwestern Railway line. After a lively campaign rally in which the west siders paraded with cabbages on poles, the farmers won the right to create their own Ridge Avenue Park District. The Ridge Avenue district initially focused on upgrading and maintaining Ridge Avenue, but as its West Rogers Park neighborhood grew, the need for parkland became more pressing. In 1912, the district purchased property at Ridge Avenue and Morse Street, which quickly became known as Morse Park. The new park took its name from the adjacent street, in turn named for Charles H. Morse, an early developer of Rogers Park. In 1984, the Chicago Park District renamed the site Matanky Park for respected local resident Eugene Matanky (1922--1982). Matanky, a newspaperman and real estate developer, was a founder and vice-president of the Jewish Community Council of West Rogers Park, and a member of the Uptown Chicago Commission.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Matanky Playground

Matanky Playground

Location Notes: 6925 N. Ridge Ave.

Notes: Renovated Summer 2014, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Matanky Sandboxes

Matanky Sandboxes

Location Notes: 6925 N. Ridge Ave.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This small playground with sandbox is located in the Rogers Park neighborhood (on Ridge Avenue, two blocks north of Pratt Boulevard). Visitors will also find a small open green space that is ideal for a small picnic with their children. During the summer for 6-weeks, the park gets a visit from the Craftmobile once a week.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Paschen Park

Created in 1912, Matanky Park, originally known as Morse Park, was the first of four parks created by the Ridge Avenue Park District. The Ridge Avenue district was among 19 neighborhood park commissions established after 1896 to serve areas recently annexed to the city. When Rogers Park residents decided to form a park district in 1895, a bitter fight immediately arose between two local factions. Farmers living in West Rogers Park resented the prospect of being taxed for lake front improvements by east side "silk stockings." The farmers, derisively called "cabbage heads" by the east siders, fought to establish their own park district west of the Northwestern Railway line. After a lively campaign rally in which the west siders paraded with cabbages on poles, the farmers won the right to create their own Ridge Avenue Park District. The Ridge Avenue district initially focused on upgrading and maintaining Ridge Avenue, but as its West Rogers Park neighborhood grew, the need for parkland became more pressing. In 1912, the district purchased property at Ridge Avenue and Morse Street, which quickly became known as Morse Park. The new park took its name from the adjacent street, in turn named for Charles H. Morse, an early developer of Rogers Park. In 1984, the Chicago Park District renamed the site Matanky Park for respected local resident Eugene Matanky (1922--1982). Matanky, a newspaperman and real estate developer, was a founder and vice-president of the Jewish Community Council of West Rogers Park, and a member of the Uptown Chicago Commission.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.