Merrill Playground Park

  • 2154 E. 97th St.   Chicago, Illinois 60617 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Trumbull Park
  • Park Phone: (312) 747-6759

Located in the South Deering community, Merrill Playground Park includes a baseball field, outdoor basketball court, and a water spray feature.

History

The South Deering community's Merrill Park takes its name from adjacent Merrill Avenue, in turn named for early southside real estate developer George W. Merrill. By 1930, South Deering was a heavily industrial area just entering a period of substantial residential growth. During the following decade, the city used federal New Deal funds for local improvements, including paving and widening 103rd Street through South Deering. The street improvements soon prompted residential development. The new subdivision north of 103rd Street was known as Calumet Gardens, and later as Jeffrey Manor. In 1942, the developers donated the site of Merrill Park to the city for use as a public park. Few improvements were made, however, until after the city transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. Shortly thereafter, the park district developed a plan for the park, installing an athletic field, a playground, and grass, trees, and shrubs. In 1970, a spray pool was added. The park district constructed a new soft surface playground in 1991.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Merrill Playground Baseball

Merrill Playground Baseball

Location Notes: 2154 E. 97th St.

Merrill Playground Basketball

Merrill Playground Basketball

Location Notes: 2154 E. 97th St.

Merrill Playground

Merrill Playground

Notes: Renovated Summer 2014, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Merrill Playground Water Spray Feature

Merrill Playground Water Spray Feature

Location Notes: 2154 E. 97th St.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Located in the South Deering community, Merrill Playground Park includes a baseball field, outdoor basketball court, and a water spray feature.

The South Deering community's Merrill Park takes its name from adjacent Merrill Avenue, in turn named for early southside real estate developer George W. Merrill. By 1930, South Deering was a heavily industrial area just entering a period of substantial residential growth. During the following decade, the city used federal New Deal funds for local improvements, including paving and widening 103rd Street through South Deering. The street improvements soon prompted residential development. The new subdivision north of 103rd Street was known as Calumet Gardens, and later as Jeffrey Manor. In 1942, the developers donated the site of Merrill Park to the city for use as a public park. Few improvements were made, however, until after the city transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. Shortly thereafter, the park district developed a plan for the park, installing an athletic field, a playground, and grass, trees, and shrubs. In 1970, a spray pool was added. The park district constructed a new soft surface playground in 1991.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.