Located in the Back of the Yards community, Micek Park is an ideal location for families to spend a portion of their day relaxing, enjoying nature and the outdoors. This park contains a playground with swings, slides, climbing apparatus, basketball court. Activities that are played at this park includes basketball.
Originally known as Destiny Playground, Micek Park was established in 1954, when the Back of the Yards Social Club donated a 4-acre parcel of land in the New City community to the City of Chicago for use as parkland. The club's donation came at a time when operations of the neighborhood's primary employer, the Union Stock Yards, were winding down. Founded in 1865, the Stock Yards closed for good in 1971. During many decades of successful operation, the Yards and adjacent packing plants had drawn successive waves of immigrant laborers to live in the area.
The city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation began to develop the site in 1955. After constructing a small brick recreational building and athletic field, the bureau opened to the public the following year. Two years later, the city renamed the park in honor of 2nd-term Alderman Frank Micek (1895-1958). In October of 1958, Micek died of a heart attack soon after he made a speech during a ceremonial installation of new street lights along 63rd Street in his 15th Ward. In 1959, the city transferred the park, along with more than 250 other properties, to the Chicago Park District. The park district rehabilitated the athletic field in 1975, and installed a soft surface playground in 1990.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.