Miller Playlot Park

  • 846 S. Miller St.   Chicago, Illinois 60607 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Martin Murphy (Sheridan Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 746-5369

This small playground is located in the Near West Community.  The park features a playground It is an active community park. 

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Sheridan Park for recreation.

History

In 1952, the City of Chicago purchased this ten-acre property on Miller Avenue as part of a city-wide program to develop small parks in under-served neighborhoods like the Near West Side. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation soon transformed the site into a small playground. In 1959, the city transferred Miller Park to the Chicago Park District, which rehabilitated it in the early 1980s and again in 1992. Miller Park and the adjacent Near West Side street take their names from early Chicagoan Samuel Miller. Miller and his wife built a house at Chicago as early as 1827, operating it as a tavern. Beginning in 1829, Miller and Archibald Clybourne ran a ferry across the forks of the Chicago River near Wolf Point. When Cook County was organized in 1831, Miller became one of the first County Commissioners. The following year, he built Chicago's first bridge, a foot bridge over the North Branch of the Chicago River at Kinzie and Canal Streets.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Miller Playground

Miller PlaygroundAccessible

Location Notes: 848 S. Miller

Notes: Renovated Summer 2014, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This small playground is located in the Near West Community.  The park features a playground It is an active community park. 

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Sheridan Park for recreation.

In 1952, the City of Chicago purchased this ten-acre property on Miller Avenue as part of a city-wide program to develop small parks in under-served neighborhoods like the Near West Side. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation soon transformed the site into a small playground. In 1959, the city transferred Miller Park to the Chicago Park District, which rehabilitated it in the early 1980s and again in 1992. Miller Park and the adjacent Near West Side street take their names from early Chicagoan Samuel Miller. Miller and his wife built a house at Chicago as early as 1827, operating it as a tavern. Beginning in 1829, Miller and Archibald Clybourne ran a ferry across the forks of the Chicago River near Wolf Point. When Cook County was organized in 1831, Miller became one of the first County Commissioners. The following year, he built Chicago's first bridge, a foot bridge over the North Branch of the Chicago River at Kinzie and Canal Streets.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.