This passive recreation area is situated on approximately 1 ½ acres in the Norwood Park community (one block east of Harlem Avenue, one long block north of Peterson Avenue). While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Norwood Park.
The City of Chicago acquired Myrtle Grove Park when it annexed the town of Norwood in 1893. The City's Bureau of Parks and Recreation transferred the property to the Chicago Park District in 1959. The park has been known as Myrtle Grove since at least 1916, apparently for Myrtle Avenue (now known as Northcott), the park's northern boundary. It is puzzling that the Myrtle Avenue was so named, since the myrtle does not grow in the Chicago region. The ancient Romans held the myrtle, an evergreen, in high regard. They recognized two species, the Patrician and the Plebian. According to Roman legend, the political fortunes of the nobles and the commoners could be judged based on which of the two trees flourished and which languished.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.