Nelson Playlot Park

  • 2951 W. Nelson St.   Chicago, Illinois 60618 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Teresa Wooldridge (Brands Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 478-2414

Located in the Avondale neighborhood, sits approximately two blocks south of Belmont Avenue and two blocks west of California Avenue. Children enjoy playing in the soft surface playground.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Brands Park.

History

As World War II drew to a close, the city began creating many new playgrounds and playlots to serve Chicago's growing population of young children. By 1945, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had transformed a city-owned lot in the Avondale neighborhood into a playlot with a sandbox; a spraypool; a jungle gym; a marble ring; and hopscotch, horsheshoe, and basketball courts. As the bureau's practice was then to name parks for adjacent streets, the site became known as Nelson Park. The street name honors Andrew Nelson (1818-1887), a north side real estate speculator who served on the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners from 1869 to 1871. In 1959, the city transferred Nelson Park to the Chicago Park District along with more than 250 other properties. After upgrading the park the 1960s, the district installed a new soft surface playground in 1992.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Nelson Playgrounds

Nelson PlaygroundsAccessible

Notes: Renovated Spring 2015, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Descriptors: Engineered Wood Fiber Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Located in the Avondale neighborhood, sits approximately two blocks south of Belmont Avenue and two blocks west of California Avenue. Children enjoy playing in the soft surface playground.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Brands Park.

As World War II drew to a close, the city began creating many new playgrounds and playlots to serve Chicago's growing population of young children. By 1945, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation had transformed a city-owned lot in the Avondale neighborhood into a playlot with a sandbox; a spraypool; a jungle gym; a marble ring; and hopscotch, horsheshoe, and basketball courts. As the bureau's practice was then to name parks for adjacent streets, the site became known as Nelson Park. The street name honors Andrew Nelson (1818-1887), a north side real estate speculator who served on the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners from 1869 to 1871. In 1959, the city transferred Nelson Park to the Chicago Park District along with more than 250 other properties. After upgrading the park the 1960s, the district installed a new soft surface playground in 1992.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.