This small playground is located in the Near North Community. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Lake Shore Park.
Ogden Plaza Park honors William Butler Ogden (1805-1877), Chicago's first mayor. (This is the second Chicago park to honor Ogden. The other, located on the city's south side, was established in 1905.) A native New Yorker, Ogden moved west to Chicago in 1835. Just two years later, the 4,000 inhabitants of the newly-incorporated city elected him mayor. After bringing Chicago safely through the Panic of 1837, Ogden went on to make his fortune in real estate. Ogden reinvested his profits in the burgeoning city, investing in its first railroad, the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad (later acquired by another Ogden rail line, the Chicago and Northwestern), constructing bridges and streets, and donating land for churches and schools. In 1857, Ogden was among the founders of the Chicago Dock and Canal Company, established to develop land on the north bank of the Chicago River for industrial purposes. A young Abraham Lincoln provided legal counsel to the fledgling company.In the mid-1980s, real estate developers began planning a mixed-used development, Cityfront Center, on land owned by Chicago Dock and Canal Trust, a successor to Ogden's firm. In 1988, Chicago Dock and Canal Trust donated slightly more than an acre of property to the Chicago Park District for recreational development at Cityfront Center. Designed by Lohan Associates in 1990, Ogden Plaza Park a multi-leveled plaza studded with trees and benches. A large outdoor sculpture, "Floor Clock II," created by internationally-recognized artist Vito Acconci provides a focal point for the plaza.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.