This small playground is located in the Austin Community. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby LaFollette Park for recreation.
Ohio Park takes the name of the adjacent street, which refers to the midwestern state and the river that flows through it. Ohio means "great" or "beautiful river" in the Iroquois language. Ohio Park is one of many small parks established by the City of Chicago at the close of World War II. In the early 1950s, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation began leasing Board of Education-owned land in the Austin neighborhood to create a small playground. The city transferred management of the site to the Chicago Park District in 1959. A decade later, the property was rehabilitated, and a spray pool added to the original play equipment and basketball court. After assuming ownership of Ohio Park from the Board of Education in 1990, the park district installed a new soft surface playground.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.