Roberts Square Playlot Park

  • 5200 W. Argyle St.   Chicago, Illinois 60630 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Andrea Woppel (Jefferson Park)
  • Park Phone: (773) 685-3316

Located in the Jefferson Park community (two blocks east of Northwest Highway, three blocks south of Foster Avenue), this 3 ½ acre park contains a playground with a sandbox and a walking path.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Jefferson Park.

History

The 3.5-acre square on Argyle Street in Jefferson Park has been known as Roberts Square since its creation in 1873. Daniel L. Roberts, a leather salesman who settled in Chicago in 1835, donated the parkland to the Village of Jefferson in that year, shortly after its incorporation. When Chicago annexed JeffersonTownship in 1889, the park became city property. In 1929, the city transferred control of Roberts Square to the Jefferson Park District, one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District five years later. In keeping with Daniel Roberts' original intent, the site has always been used for ornamental purposes, and no buildings have ever been constructed there.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

Reviews

Description

Located in the Jefferson Park community (two blocks east of Northwest Highway, three blocks south of Foster Avenue), this 3 ½ acre park contains a playground with a sandbox and a walking path.

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Jefferson Park.

The 3.5-acre square on Argyle Street in Jefferson Park has been known as Roberts Square since its creation in 1873. Daniel L. Roberts, a leather salesman who settled in Chicago in 1835, donated the parkland to the Village of Jefferson in that year, shortly after its incorporation. When Chicago annexed JeffersonTownship in 1889, the park became city property. In 1929, the city transferred control of Roberts Square to the Jefferson Park District, one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District five years later. In keeping with Daniel Roberts' original intent, the site has always been used for ornamental purposes, and no buildings have ever been constructed there.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.