This small playground is located in the Near West Community. The park features a basketball court.
The Near West Side, one of Chicago's most fashionable neighborhoods in the mid-nineteenth century, had experienced significant decline by the 1940s and 1950s. The Chicago Housing Authority responded by replacing deteriorated buildings with several new multi-unit public housing developments in the area. In 1950, the City of Chicago's Bureau of Parks and Recreation created the 3/4-acre Sain Park to serve the area's growing population. Improved with playground equipment, a playing field, wading pool, and small brick recreation building, the park was named in honor of Harry Sain (1893-1975) alderman of the surrounding 27th ward for 38 years. (At the time, the city regularly named parks for the standing aldermen of the wards in which the sites were located.) In 1959, the city transferred Sain Park, along with more than 250 other properties, to the Chicago Park District. The nearby Rockwell Gardens housing development was built the same year, and Sain Park began serving as a backyard to families who lived there. The park was slightly enlarged in 1960, when a portion of West Monroe Street was closed to traffic and the park district extended the park into the right-of-way. After demolishing Sain Park's recreation building in 1978, the park district undertook a major rehabilitation project a few years later, constructing new tennis and volley ball courts, installing new playground equipment, and replanting the surrounding landscape. In 1991, the park district removed the playground equipment, targeting Sain Park's programs to teenagers and adults. At the same time, a major playground improvement at Rockwell Gardens Park, provided a nearby alternative for younger children.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.