Located in the Humboldt Park community (mid-way between Kedzie and Pulaski Avenues, just one-half block north of North Avenue), Simons Park sits on approximately one acre.The fieldhouse is equipped with a gymnasium, an assembly hall (with stage), a kitchen, and clubrooms for rental.Outside, the park has a basketball court, a volleyball court, boxing gym, plus a playground with a spray feature.
For recreation, Simons Park offers badminton, basketball, boxing, NERF football, seasonal sports, and soccer—as well as our popular six-week summer camp. On the cultural side, the park offers (oil) painting and arts & crafts. To increase socialization skills and make new friendships, there’s Teen Leadership Club, Go Girl Go, plus Table Fun & Games. The park is filled with awards banners trophies for winning citywide events in boys’ soccer, floor hockey, volleyball, and wrestling.
Simons Park is also host to the Seed of Abraham Children’s Outreach Program, which offers self-esteem and confidence building activities. This partner also provides the park with annual health fairs, which provide kids with school supplies and a school health exam, as well as Say No to Violence back-to-school rallies. In addition to programs, Simons Park hosts the annual citywide boxing show, and the monthly neighborhood CAPS meeting.
Simons Park honors local resident Almira Simons Winkleman, daughter of early settlers Edward Simons and Laura Sprague Simons. Beginning in 1836, Edward, a northeasterner, and Laura, a former Joliet school teacher, farmed the land now bordered by Armitage, North, Central Park, and Kedzie Avenues. The Simons Park name was suggested by Almira Simons Winkleman's two daughters during the park's development just after World War I. The Fullerton Avenue Business Men's Association had proposed creation of a neighborhood park in 1916, but no action was taken until after the war. The area's Northwest Park District, one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934, made its first purchase of land for the park in 1920. Eight years later, the Northwest Park District constructed a red-brick, Second Empire-style fieldhouse designed by nationally-known architect W.W. Alschlager. The fieldhouse, similar to Alschlager's fieldhouses at nearby Kelvyn and Riis Parks, was remodelled in 1990.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.