South Lakeview Playground Park

  • 1300 W. Wolfram St.   Chicago, Illinois 60657 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Rich Blake (Hamlin Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 742-7785

This 2/3 acre park is located in the Lakeview neighborhood (one block north of Diversey Parkway, three blocks east of Ashland Avenue). It contains a playslab with four basketball standards, a volleyball court, a water spray feature, and a playground. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Hamlin Park.

History

In the mid-1960s, the South Lakeview Neighbors Association began to push for a playground in their crowded community. In 1966, the Chicago Park District agreed to create a new park at the corner of North Lakewood Avenue and West Wolfram Street. Using both city Park Improvement Bond funds and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development grant funds, the park district purchased the property two years later. Before long, the new park was equipped with basketball and volleyball courts, playground apparatus, a sand box, and a spray pool. In 1969, the park district recognized residents' efforts by naming the site South Lakeview Park. Subsequent improvements include a 1993 playground rehabilitation.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

South Lakeview Basketball Court

South Lakeview Basketball Court

Location Notes: 1300 W. Wolfram St.

South Lakeview Playground

South Lakeview PlaygroundAccessible

Location Notes: 1300 W. Wolfram St.

South Lakeview Water Spray Feature

South Lakeview Water Spray Feature

Location Notes: 1300 W. Wolfram St.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This 2/3 acre park is located in the Lakeview neighborhood (one block north of Diversey Parkway, three blocks east of Ashland Avenue). It contains a playslab with four basketball standards, a volleyball court, a water spray feature, and a playground. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Hamlin Park.

In the mid-1960s, the South Lakeview Neighbors Association began to push for a playground in their crowded community. In 1966, the Chicago Park District agreed to create a new park at the corner of North Lakewood Avenue and West Wolfram Street. Using both city Park Improvement Bond funds and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development grant funds, the park district purchased the property two years later. Before long, the new park was equipped with basketball and volleyball courts, playground apparatus, a sand box, and a spray pool. In 1969, the park district recognized residents' efforts by naming the site South Lakeview Park. Subsequent improvements include a 1993 playground rehabilitation.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.