This small playground is located in the West Town Community. The park features a playground that was renovated in 2014 as part of the Chicago Plays! program. Superior Playlot Park is an active community park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Commercial Club Park for recreation.
Superior Park was one of 42 playgrounds and playlots developed by the city in 1950 to meet the recreational needs of post-World War II Chicago. Having purchased a quarter-acre of land in the West Town community, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation began preliminary work later that year. The park was soon equipped with a gravel-surfaced playground.
Following its general practice, the bureau named the site for the adjacent street. Both the park and the street take their names from the largest of the five Great Lakes. The French called the lake "Lac Superior," meaning the "upper lake."
In 1959, the city transferred the park, along with 250 other properties, to the Chicago Park District. After replanting the park's green borders and rehabilitating the playground in 1981, the park district added a new soft surface playground and an ornamental iron fence during the 1990s.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.