Located in the Hyde Park community, Sycamore Park is a recreational destination enjoyed by park patrons and their families.This park contains a playground with swings, slides, climbing equipment, and a sandbox.
In 1958, the City of Chicago purchased property for a park in the Hyde Park neighborhood, transferring it to the Chicago Park District the following year. The park district expanded the park in 1963, as part of the Hyde Park-Kenwood Urban Renewal Project. Officially designated Sycamore Park in 1973, the site was one of a number of properties named for trees and plants at this time. Sometimes known as the eastern sycamore, American plane tree, or American buttonwood, the massive sycamore is among the largest broadleaf trees in eastern North America. Sycamores often grow to 75 to 100 feet tall. Prized as shade trees, sycamores are often found in large yards and parks, where their stout trunks and spreading branches have ample room to grow. The wood of the sycamore tree, light brown, coarse-grained, hard, and heavy, was once used in the manufacture of Chicago's magnificent Pullman sleeping cars.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.