This park is located in the Lower West Side community. Locally known as Canal Riverport Park the park features a fishing station.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Davis Square Park.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.
In 2000, the City of Chicago developed a 5-acre passive park in the Lower West Side community area west of Canal Origins Park. Using funds from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources the City improved the site with a linear walking path and fishing stations. The City of Chicago named the site Canalport Riverwalk Park because of the historic significance of its site and the recreational opportunities provided because of its relationship to the Chicago River today. Completed in 1848, the Illinois and Michigan Canal helped Chicago quickly become one of the nation’s most important and fastest growing cities. It provided a link between the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes, which made Chicago a major trade center. In 1881, boats carried over a million tons of cargo along the canal. The City of Chicago transferred the Canalport Riverwalk Park to the Chicago Park District in 2002.