Ehrler Park

  • 2230 W. Cortland St.   Chicago, Illinois 60647 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Shannon English (Holstein Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 742-7769

This park is located in the Logan Square community ( two blocks south of Armitage Avenue, approximately 2 ½ blocks west of Damen Avenue). Nearly one acre, it contains a volleyball court, and playground with sandbox. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs at nearby Holstein Park.

History

The Chicago Park District established Ehrler Park on Board of Education-owned property in 1964. Known first as Cortland and Oakley Park, the 3/4-acre site was improved with an asphalt slab and playground equipment surrounded by lawn and trees. Ten years later, the Chicago Park District renamed the site as Daisy Park as part of a city-wide program to name parks for trees and plants. In 1989, the Bucktown Community Organization asked the park district to rename the park for William J. Ehrler Jr. (1944-1988). A computer analyst for the Chicago Transit Authority, Ehrler had been active community leader. He served as President of the Bucktown Community Organization, Chairman of the Holstein Park Advisory Council and board member of the Bucktown Artsfest. Soon after renaming the site, the park district constructed a new soft surface playground there. In early 1991, the Board of Education transferred full ownership of the property to the park district, which added ornamental iron fencing along Cortland Street in 1998. The park underwent a complete rehabilitation project with new playground equipment in 2002.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Ehrler Playlot Playground

Ehrler Playlot PlaygroundAccessible

Descriptors: Rubberized Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This park is located in the Logan Square community ( two blocks south of Armitage Avenue, approximately 2 ½ blocks west of Damen Avenue). Nearly one acre, it contains a volleyball court, and playground with sandbox. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs at nearby Holstein Park.

The Chicago Park District established Ehrler Park on Board of Education-owned property in 1964. Known first as Cortland and Oakley Park, the 3/4-acre site was improved with an asphalt slab and playground equipment surrounded by lawn and trees. Ten years later, the Chicago Park District renamed the site as Daisy Park as part of a city-wide program to name parks for trees and plants. In 1989, the Bucktown Community Organization asked the park district to rename the park for William J. Ehrler Jr. (1944-1988). A computer analyst for the Chicago Transit Authority, Ehrler had been active community leader. He served as President of the Bucktown Community Organization, Chairman of the Holstein Park Advisory Council and board member of the Bucktown Artsfest. Soon after renaming the site, the park district constructed a new soft surface playground there. In early 1991, the Board of Education transferred full ownership of the property to the park district, which added ornamental iron fencing along Cortland Street in 1998. The park underwent a complete rehabilitation project with new playground equipment in 2002.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.