Flower (Lucy) Playlot Park

  • 2554 W. Moffat St.   Chicago, Illinois 60647 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Tiffany Kissel (Maplewood Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 742-7554

Lucy Flower has long been considered the “hidden gem” of West Bucktown. This lovely family friendly park has recently receive a newly renovated playground from the Chicago Plays! playground renovation program. The playlot is surrounded by mature trees provides patrons plenty of summertime shade, and an intimate setting that makes it particularly attractive to families with small children.

Features in the new playground include a soft play surface, modern playground equipment with age-appropriate features, two new benches, three picnic tables, and a small water feature. The designs also retain the existing sandbox and raised flower beds.

Over the last several years, Lucy Flower received grant money to install raised beds and planter boxes, upgrade the water supply, and beautify the park with plants and flowers. The Lucy Flower Garden Club was formed, several "community clean-up days" were organized, and a free Children’s Garden Club was held at the park every other Saturday during the summer months.

History

Formerly known as People's Park the site was renamed Lucy Flower Park in 2005 as part of an effort by the Chicago Park District Board of Commissioners to recognize the contributions of Chicago women.Lucy Louisa Flower (1837- 1921) was a social reformer who spearheaded many Chicago and Cook County initiatives to improve the lives of women and help children and eliminate juvenile delinquency. After briefly working in the US Patent Office in Washington DC, Lucy moved to Madison, Wisconsin where she taught in the public schools. In 1873, some years after marrying a Madison attorney, James Monroe Flower, Lucy and her family moved to Chicago. She soon became active in charitable efforts. In 1880, Lucy helped to found the Illinois Training School for Nurses (later named the Cook County School of Nursing). At a time when County nursing positions were generally doled out through political patronage, the school sought to provide professional training for nurses, establish standards, and make nursing a respectable profession for women. Serving on the Chicago Board of Education from 1891 to 1894, Lucy Flower inspired progressive initiatives in the schools such as manual training and kindergartens, and providing bathing facilities for children who lived in the tenement districts. Lucy also championed compulsory school attendance, which became law in 1897. She led the movement to create a new type of court for children under the age of 16. The resulting bill, approved in 1899, established the Cook County Juvenile Court, the first of its kind in the world. Peoples Park is located approximately 2 ½ miles from Lucy Flower’s home at 1920 W. Wellington Ave.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Flower Playlot Playground

Flower Playlot PlaygroundAccessible

Notes: Renovated Summer 2014, Chicago Plays Renovation

Descriptors: Rubberized Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

Lucy Flower has long been considered the “hidden gem” of West Bucktown. This lovely family friendly park has recently receive a newly renovated playground from the Chicago Plays! playground renovation program. The playlot is surrounded by mature trees provides patrons plenty of summertime shade, and an intimate setting that makes it particularly attractive to families with small children.

Features in the new playground include a soft play surface, modern playground equipment with age-appropriate features, two new benches, three picnic tables, and a small water feature. The designs also retain the existing sandbox and raised flower beds.

Over the last several years, Lucy Flower received grant money to install raised beds and planter boxes, upgrade the water supply, and beautify the park with plants and flowers. The Lucy Flower Garden Club was formed, several "community clean-up days" were organized, and a free Children’s Garden Club was held at the park every other Saturday during the summer months.

Formerly known as People's Park the site was renamed Lucy Flower Park in 2005 as part of an effort by the Chicago Park District Board of Commissioners to recognize the contributions of Chicago women.Lucy Louisa Flower (1837- 1921) was a social reformer who spearheaded many Chicago and Cook County initiatives to improve the lives of women and help children and eliminate juvenile delinquency. After briefly working in the US Patent Office in Washington DC, Lucy moved to Madison, Wisconsin where she taught in the public schools. In 1873, some years after marrying a Madison attorney, James Monroe Flower, Lucy and her family moved to Chicago. She soon became active in charitable efforts. In 1880, Lucy helped to found the Illinois Training School for Nurses (later named the Cook County School of Nursing). At a time when County nursing positions were generally doled out through political patronage, the school sought to provide professional training for nurses, establish standards, and make nursing a respectable profession for women. Serving on the Chicago Board of Education from 1891 to 1894, Lucy Flower inspired progressive initiatives in the schools such as manual training and kindergartens, and providing bathing facilities for children who lived in the tenement districts. Lucy also championed compulsory school attendance, which became law in 1897. She led the movement to create a new type of court for children under the age of 16. The resulting bill, approved in 1899, established the Cook County Juvenile Court, the first of its kind in the world. Peoples Park is located approximately 2 ½ miles from Lucy Flower’s home at 1920 W. Wellington Ave.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.