Greenebaum Playlot Park

  • 4300 W. Wabansia Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60639 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Notes: Park: 6am - 11pm
  • Park Supervisor: Cirilo Gonzalez (Hermosa Park)
  • Phone: (312) 742-7540

This playlot is located in the Humboldt Park community, three blocks south o f Armitage Avenue and six blocks west of Pulaski Road. It sits on a little over 1-½ acres and is comprised of a softball field, a playslab with two basketball standards, a spray feature, and a playground with a sandbox. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs at nearby Hermosa Park.

History

Greenebaum Park was the last of the thirteen parks created by the Northwest Park District, one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. The Northwest Park District purchased 1.75 acres for the park in 1931, at the request of the Tripp Avenue Improvement Club. Due to financial constraints, no park improvements were made until after the Chicago Park District took jurisdiction. In 1953, the Chicago Park District officially designated the site Greenebaum Park in honor of Henry Greenebaum (1833-1914), a 19th-century civic leader. A Chicago banker and real estate developer, Greenebaum was known as "the father of Humboldt Park." Greenebaum actively promoted the creation of the three original Chicago Park systems. Greenebaum served two terms as a member of the West Park Commission after its formation in 1869. He also served one term on the City Council, where he headed the finance committee.

Parking/Directions

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

This playlot is located in the Humboldt Park community, three blocks south o f Armitage Avenue and six blocks west of Pulaski Road. It sits on a little over 1-½ acres and is comprised of a softball field, a playslab with two basketball standards, a spray feature, and a playground with a sandbox. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs at nearby Hermosa Park.

 

FACILITIES

FACILITY TYPE ADDRESS DESCRIPTOR QTY NOTES
Baseball Field 0
Basketball Court - Outdoor 0
Playgrounds 0
Water Spray Features 0
Greenebaum Park was the last of the thirteen parks created by the Northwest Park District, one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. The Northwest Park District purchased 1.75 acres for the park in 1931, at the request of the Tripp Avenue Improvement Club. Due to financial constraints, no park improvements were made until after the Chicago Park District took jurisdiction. In 1953, the Chicago Park District officially designated the site Greenebaum Park in honor of Henry Greenebaum (1833-1914), a 19th-century civic leader. A Chicago banker and real estate developer, Greenebaum was known as "the father of Humboldt Park." Greenebaum actively promoted the creation of the three original Chicago Park systems. Greenebaum served two terms as a member of the West Park Commission after its formation in 1869. He also served one term on the City Council, where he headed the finance committee.

For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.