Heritage Green Park is located in the Near West Community. It is an active community park.
Formerly known as Park No. 537, this park was officially named Heritage Green in 2007. It features passive green space with a sculpture by Irish artist Maurice Harron. Known as "Grainne," the artwork is located at the Southwest corner of the park.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Union Park for recreation in the gym, fun in the outdoor pool and exercise in the Fitness Center.
After acquiring a one-acre site at Des Plaines & Adams, the Chicago Park District began improving the landscape to create a passive park in 2005. An advisory committee was formed to facilitate the installation of a major artwork project in the park through the Sister Cities program. This sculpture, installed in March of 2007, commemorates the City of Galway and Chicago’s historical relationship with Ireland.
Based on the suggestion of the advisory committee, the Chicago Park District Board of Commissioners named the site Heritage Green Park in 2007. The name pays homage to the area’s rich and varied heritage and makes reference to our nation's historical town greens, which provided America with some of its earliest public parks.
The community around Des Plaines and Adams was the port of entry for many groups, including Irish, German and Greek immigrants. The adjacent Old St. Patrick’s Church, dedicated in 1856, is among Chicago’s oldest extant pre-fire structures.
For directions using public transportation visit www.transitchicago.com.