Western Park

  • 907 N. Western Ave.   Chicago, Illinois 60622 [View Map]
  • Park Hours:
  • Park Supervisor: Travis Bogle (Smith Park)
  • Park Phone: (312) 742-7549 (Humboldt Park)

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Smith Park for recreation. The playground was recently refurbished as part of the Chicago Plays! Renovation Program. 

History

Western Park is one of many city parks created to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. After purchasing a small parcel in the West Town neighborhood in 1952, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation installed playground equipment on gravel surfacing. In 1959, the city transferred the quarter-acre site to the Chicago Park District, along with more than 250 other properties. Having made some improvements to the playground equipment in the 1960s and 1980s, the park district thoroughly rehabilitated the park in 1992, constructing a new soft surface playground and installing border plantings. The park's name recognizes its location on Western Avenue. At 23.5 miles, Western Avenue is Chicago's longest street. This roadway marked formed the western border of the city from 1851 until 1869, when Chicago expanded beyond it.

Western Park Playground

Western Park Playground Accessible

Notes: Renovated Fall 2014, Chicago Plays! Renovation Program

Descriptors: Engineered Wood Fiber Surface

Documents

There are no documents available.

Photos & Videos

There are no photos or videos available.

Reviews

Description

While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Smith Park for recreation. The playground was recently refurbished as part of the Chicago Plays! Renovation Program. 

Western Park is one of many city parks created to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. After purchasing a small parcel in the West Town neighborhood in 1952, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation installed playground equipment on gravel surfacing. In 1959, the city transferred the quarter-acre site to the Chicago Park District, along with more than 250 other properties. Having made some improvements to the playground equipment in the 1960s and 1980s, the park district thoroughly rehabilitated the park in 1992, constructing a new soft surface playground and installing border plantings. The park's name recognizes its location on Western Avenue. At 23.5 miles, Western Avenue is Chicago's longest street. This roadway marked formed the western border of the city from 1851 until 1869, when Chicago expanded beyond it.