Polar Adventure Days Offer Families Winter Fun at Northerly Island
Free snowshoe rental is available
if there is at least 3 inches of snow.
© Chicago Park District
The Chicago Park District presents the eighth annual Polar Adventure Days from 12 - 4 p.m. on three Saturdays, Dec. 8, Jan. 19 and Feb. 16, at Northerly Island, 1521 S. Linn White Dr., on the Museum Campus. The program is admission free.
Polar Adventure Days offer families the opportunity to explore Northerly Island and come face-to-face with live animals, engage in winter activities, and create nature-inspired crafts. Participants are encouraged to dress for the weather as events take place both outdoors and inside the visitor center.
The following features and activities will be available at Polar Adventure Days:
• Various live animals will be on site to discover, such as wolves and birds of prey, from Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation.
• Dog sledding demonstrations with huskies of Free Spirit Siberian Rescue.
• Live entertainment from the Old Town School of Folk Music.
• Arts and craft tables for making nature-inspired creations.
• Free snowshoe rental for exploration of the island if there is enough snow.
• Free hot cocoa to the first 400 participants.
Please call to confirm scheduled activities for Polar Adventure Days as activities are subject to change. For more information, call 312-742-PLAY (7529).
Limited parking is available for $3, cash only, during Polar Adventure Days. Directions by car to Northerly Island:
Take Lake Shore Drive north or south to the 18th Street/Museum Campus exit. Follow Museum Campus Drive toward Adler Planetarium. Turn right on Linn White Drive. Go past the Northerly Island concert pavilion (on left) and the Burnham Harbor Yacht Club (on right).
Northerly Island is also accessible by public transportation:
Take the #146 bus, exit at Linn White Drive and walk south to the visitor center.