Trees recycled into free mulch for residents
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation (DSS), in partnership with the Chicago Park District, today announced that the City's annual holiday tree recycling program will run from Saturday, January 6 through Saturday, January 20, 2018, at 25 locations citywide.
"Holiday tree recycling is one of the many ways the City supports the recycling efforts of residents year-round," said DSS Acting Commissioner John F. Tully. “We encourage residents to manage tree disposal and all of their holiday waste responsibly to protect our environment and divert as must waste as possible from landfills.”
Live holiday trees can be dropped off inside tree corrals set up at any one of the 25 designated Chicago Park District locations. The holiday tree recycling program is not able to accept wreaths or garlands. Ornaments, lights, tinsels, and tree stands must be removed before the tree is dropped off and trees should be removed from any bags when placed in the tree recycling corrals.
Trees recycled through the program are turned into mulch, wood chips for use at Chicago Park Districts and materials for use by the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District.
"Recycling your holiday tree at park sites citywide can help you, your community, and the environment by minimizing waste and fostering a healthy environment," said Michael P. Kelly, General Superintendent and CEO of the Chicago Park District. "We value the environmentally beneficial partnership with our sister agency that encourages the public to become responsible stewards of our natural resources and in return receive free mulch when available at select locations."
Last year, the program mulched more than 21,000 trees. Free mulch will be available for residents to pick-up beginning on January 8, at six designated locations.
Participating locations include:
(*free mulch locations)
- Bessemer Park, 8930 S. Muskegon Ave.
- Clark Park, 3400 N. Rockwell St.
- Forestry Site*, 900 E. 103rd St.
- Garfield Park, 100 N. Central Park Ave.
- Grant Park, 900 S. Columbus Dr.
- Humboldt Park Boathouse, 1369 N. Sacramento Ave.
- Jackson Park, 6300 S. Cornell Ave.
- Kennedy Park, 2427 W. 113th St.
- Kelvyn Park, 4438 W. Wrightwood Ave.
- Lake Meadows Park, 3117 S. Rhodes Ave.
- Lincoln Park*, Cannon Dr. at Fullerton Ave. (Parking lot east of Cannon Dr.)
- Margate Park*, 4921 N. Marine Dr.
- Marquette Park, 6700 S. Kedzie Ave.
- McKinley Park, 2210 W. Pershing Rd.
- Mt. Greenwood Park*, 3721 W. 111th St.
- North Park Village*, 5801 N. Pulaski Rd.
- Norwood Park, 5801 N. Natoma Ave.
- Portage Park, 4100 N. Long Ave.
- Riis Park, 6201 W. Wrightwood Ave.
- Rowan Park, 11546 S. Avenue L
- Sheridan Park, 910 S. Aberdeen St.
- Walsh Park, 1722 N. Ashland
- Warren Park*, 6601 N. Western Ave.
- Wentworth Park, 5701 S. Narragansett Ave.
- West Chatham Park, 8223 S. Princeton
For more information on recycling in Chicago visit www.cityofchicago.org/dss.