THE CHICAGO PARK DISTRICT BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS HAVE BEEN PRESENTED WITH PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER XI OF THE CODE OF THE CHICAGO PARK DISTRICT.
THIS NOTICE INITIATES A PERIOD OF 45 DAYS TO ENCOURAGE INPUT FROM THE PUBLIC. AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE NOTICE PERIOD, THE GENERAL SUPERINTENDENT OR DESIGNEE MAY RECOMMEND TO THE BOARD THAT IT APPROVE THE PROPOSED AMENDMENTS BASED ON COMMUNITY INPUT PROVIDED FROM THE 45 DAY NOTICE PERIOD. ANY PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO THE CHICAGO PARK DISTRICT CODE SHALL BE EFFECTIVE ONLY UPON A MAJORITY VOTE OF THE BOARD.
TO SUBMIT COMMENTS, PLEASE CALL 312-742-4762 OR WRITE TO THE CHICAGO PARK DISTRICT, DEPARTMENT OF LEGISLATIVE & COMMUNITY AFFAIRS, 541 N. FAIRBANKS, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60611. YOU MAY ALSO EMAIL US AT LCA@CHICAGOPARKDISTRICT.COM OR UPLOAD YOUR COMMENTS TO OUR NOTICE PAGE AT https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/code-amendment-notice
Chapter 70 ILCS 1505/7.02, enables the Board of Commissioners to “establish by ordinance all needful rules and regulations for the government and protection of parks” Therefore, it is recommended that the following chapter of the Chicago Park District Code be amended to reflect the following additions or modifications of language and/or section:
It is recommended that the Board of Commissioners consider the proposed amendments to Chapter XI of the Chicago Park District Code to update the rules and procedures governing the Chicago Park District’s procurement of and contracts for goods, services, and construction. The proposed amendments include, but are not limited to the following changes:
- Section C regarding “Power to Contract” was updated to clarify and update the authority to enter into contracts:
- The Director of Purchasing has the authority to enter into contracts where the dollar amount does not exceed $20,000 (Section C.1);
- The General Superintendent has the authority to enter into contracts where the dollar amount does not exceed $200,000 (Section C.2.a); and
- The Board of Commissioners must authorize any contract where the dollar amount exceeds $200,000 (Section C.3.a). Further, for any contract approved by the Board, the Board must separately approve the exercise of an extension option provided for in the original contract.
- Section C also sets the authority to authorize change orders as follows:
- The Director of Purchasing has the authority to approve change orders not to exceed $20,000 (C.1);
- The General Superintendent has the authority to approve change orders not to exceed $100,000 (C.2.b); and
- The Board of Commissioners has the authority to approve change orders exceeding $100,000 (C.3.b).
- The Board of Commissioners may also authorize pre-qualified contractor pools, which are subject to caps set by the Board of Commissioners, where the Board must separately approve any project awarded to or work bought from the pool in excess of the caps (Section C.3.c).
- The reports to the Board of Commissioners required under Section C were also expanded to provide specificity regarding the nature and content of the reports including the addition of a report where a single change order or the aggregate change orders for a contract exceed 20% of the original contract value (Section C.4).
- The threshold for competitive bids under Section D was also updated as follows:
- Purchases or contracts valued between $15,000 and $20,000 follow a more abbreviated competitive bid process as set forth in Section D.1.a.
- Contract values exceeding $20,000 require competitive sealed bids as set forth in Section D.1.b.
Chapter XI of the Code can be found below.
Posted until December 31, 2022.
PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER XI OF THE CODE OF THE CHICAGO PARK DISTRICT COMMENT FORM