Apply for the lifeguard position by completing the following steps:
Take an American Red Cross (or equivalent) Lifeguard class
Multiple sessions are offered from February through May. Completion of this class is required to be considered for the lifeguard position. Learn more about the American Red Cross Lifeguard class, including the schedule.
Apply online for the Seasonal Lifeguard position
Take the lifeguard swim test
View the 2020 swim test days and times.
Applicants will choose a swim test date when applying for the position online (in the step above).
Potential candidates must pass all portions of the swim test to be considered for the lifeguard position. Results will be provided on-site at the completion of the test.
Complete the pre-employment processing
All lifeguard applicants are required to take a pre-employment drug screening test. The Chicago Park District does not knowingly employ anyone who is currently using drugs. All applicants age 17 and older will be fingerprinted as well.
>>> NEXT STEPS FOR FORMER LIFEGUARDS ONLY <<<
Pass the Former Lifeguard Academy
View the 2020 Former Guard Academy dates and times.
The Former Lifeguard Academy lasts one day. Applicants must pass all requirements of the Former Lifeguard Academy Review. Pass/fail information will be provided on-site at the completion of the academy. Registration for the academy takes place at the lifeguard swim test.
Sign up for an interview time (at the Former Lifeguard Academy)
Attend the Interview
At the completion of the interview, viable candidates will be offered a position.
Job sites for former lifeguards are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Every attempt is made to assign all former lifeguards before the new lifeguard candidates are assigned. COMPLETION OF THE PRE-EMPLOYMENT PROCESSING IS REQUIRED BEFORE LIFEGUARDS CAN BE ASSIGNED TO A LOCATION.
>>> NEXT STEPS FOR NEW LIFEGUARDS ONLY <<<
Pass the New Lifeguard Academy
View the 2020 New Guard Academy dates and times.
The New Lifeguard Academy runs for five days. Applicants must pass all requirements of the New Lifeguard Academy. Pass/fail information will be provided on-site at the completion of the academy. Registration for the academy takes place at the lifeguard swim test.
Attend the New Lifeguard Academy Graduation Ceremony
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 2 pm at Whitney Young High School, 210 S. Loomis, Chicago, 60607
Attend the Interview
New lifeguard applicants will receive a designated interview appointment with their certificates at the New Lifeguard Academy Closing Ceremony. Appointments are assigned based on candidate rankings. New lifeguard candidates are ranked according to their performance on the testing requirements, which includes swim times and water skills as well as all the material covered and reviewed in the New Lifeguard Academy.
At the completion of the interview, viable candidates will be offered a position based on availability.
COMPLETION OF THE PRE-EMPLOYMENT PROCESSING IS REQUIRED BEFORE LIFEGUARDS CAN BE ASSIGNED TO A LOCATION.
New lifeguard candidates should have a thorough knowledge of indoor pool, outdoor pool and beach locations and travel routes and options.
THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO ALL LIFEGUARD APPLICANTS:
- Applicants must pass all pre-employment testing and requirements before an assignment for employment can be offered.
- If an applicant is offered an assignment and they chose not to accept that assignment for any reason, they have the option of refusing employment or requesting to be placed on a decline list. After all eligible applicants have been offered a position; the applicants on the decline list will be offered any remaining positions. Specific location requests cannot be accommodated.
Please note, that there may be no openings at alternate locations available during the season. If that is the case, the lifeguard applicant, if they apply for the following season, must pass all swim test requirements and also attend the New Lifeguard Academy.
- Applicants hired are expected to work the summer season, which ends on Labor Day. Applicants who resign their position prior to Labor Day MUST provide documentation for the early resignation.
- Applicants are evaluated on job performance, including attendance and are rehired based on these evaluations. ALL hired employees must review and sign their evaluations every payday.
- Employees MUST submit Leave Requests when time off is needed and MUST provide documentation for the leave. Accumulating more than 24 hours of unexcused absence will affect future employment.
For questions, please contact the Chicago Park District Aquatics office at (773) 363-2225.