To be eligible to enter the Chicago Park District Lifeguard Training Academy and to be hired, LIFEGUARD APPLICANTS MUST PASS THE SWIM TEST, which has the following requirements:
- 200-yard swim in less than 3 min., 30 sec. (4 min., 30 sec. for Shallow Water Attendants)
- 20-yard underwater swim
- Retrieval of a 10-pound object from a depth of 10-14 feet
- Breaks and holds and towing from front and rear positions
2020 Swim Test Dates
- Friday, December 27, 2019 (4:00 pm)
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 (9:00 am)
- Saturday, April 25, 2020 (9:00 am)
- Saturday, May 9, 2020 (9:00 am)
- Friday, May 29, 2020 (7:00 pm - retest only)
All tests take place at Whitney Young HS, 210 S. Loomis, Chicago, 60607
Applicants will wait in line outside. Dress appropriately for the weather. Only applicants will be allowed inside the building, no spectators are allowed at the test. Once the doors close no one will be admitted into the test.
Applicants must submit an application before they can attend a lifeguard test, at which time they will sign up for a swim test time. Applicants must attend the swim test they signed up to attend. They will not be permitted in at other tests.
In order to be admitted to the swim test identification with a photograph such as an Illinois Driver’s License OR an Illinois State I.D. Card, is required.
No one is guaranteed employment simply because he or she has passed the lifeguard swim test.
If you have questions, please contact the Chicago Park District Aquatics office at (773) 363-2225.