To be eligible to enter the Chicago Park District Lifeguard Training Academy and to be hired, LIFEGUARD APPLICANTS MUST PASS THE LIFEAGUARD TEST, which has the following requirements:
- 200-yard swim in less than 3 min., 30 sec. (4 min., 30 sec. for Shallow Water Attendants)
- 20-yard underwater swim
- Retrieval of a 10-pound object from a depth of 10-14 feet
- Approach stroke 25 yards, retrieve a submerged manikin in deep water, and tow 25 yards
2021 Lifeguard Test Dates
Candidates must submit the job application before attending a lifeguard test. After applying, each candidate will receive an email with an invitation to select their test date from the following options.
- Friday, March 19, 2021 – Stanton Park
- Saturday, March 20, 2021 – Stanton Park
- Friday, April 9, 2021 – Foster Park
- Saturday, April 10, 2021 – Foster Park
- Friday, April 23, 2021 – Kosciuszko Park
- Saturday, April 24, 2021 – Kosciuszko Park
- Saturday, May 15, 2021 – Ping Tom Park
- Saturday, May 22, 2021 – Ping Tom Park
Applicants must attend the lifeguard test they signed up to attend. They will not be permitted at other test times and will not be allowed into the test until their assigned time. Only applicants will be allowed inside the building, no spectators are allowed at the test. Once the doors close no one will be admitted into the test.
In order to be admitted to the lifeguard test, identification with a photograph such as an Illinois Driver’s License OR an Illinois State I.D. Card, is required.
No one is guaranteed employment simply because he or she has passed the lifeguard test.
If you have questions, please contact the Chicago Park District Aquatics office at (773) 363-2225.