Located in the Hermosa community (south of Fullerton Avenue, and mid-way between Cicero & Pulaski avenues), Hermosa Park’s fieldhouse sits on 4.63 acres.The fieldhouse is equipped with several meeting rooms and a small kitchen.
Outdoors, the park offers two walking paths (appx. one-quarter mile, each), one senior and two junior baseball fields, one softball field, a combination football/soccer field, a basketball court, a volleyball court, plus a playground with a sandbox and spray pool.
Depending on age and season, a large variety of programs are offered for youth & teens: Drop-In (after school program), Sports Club, basketball, football, and Teen Leadership Club.In the summer, youth can participate in our traditional 6-week day camp as well as sports camps (baseball, football, softball); teens can continue with the Teen Leadership Program.
Parents gather at Hermosa Park with their preschoolers for classes such as: Art & ABCs, Preschool, Fun & Games, and our summer Play Camp.Adults can join the fitness class and walking club.
We invite you to stop by and check out the program offering at Hermosa Park!
Hermosa Park takes its name from that of the surrounding neighborhood, originally known as Garfield's subdivision, and redesignated Hermosa in 1889 at the request of the City of Chicago. The park was created by the Northwest Park District, one of 22 park commissions consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. The Hermosa Improvement Association asked the Northwest Park District to develop a park in its neighborhood, and the district purchased property in 1915. The park was slow to take shape, however. Increasing industrial development adjacent to the park site initially caused many to question the location, and there was talk of selling it. The community became frustrated by the slow pace of the park's development. In late 1917, 750 citizens petitioned the district to begin park development immediately. Still, no action was taken until mid-1919, when the park district implemented a few temporary improvements. Landscape architects were not hired until two years later. In the meantime, local groups had been making regular use of the Hermosa Park property. Between 1925 and 1927, the park district finally erected a permanent fieldhouse designed by Albert A. Schwartz, the architect for a number of Northwest Park District facilities.