This park is located in the West Town neighborhood (west of the Kennedy Expressway, at Ashland Avenue, a little more than one block north of North Avenue). Situated on 2.18 acres, the park contains an athletic field, basketball hoops, a playground, and a dog-friendly area. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our programs offered at nearby Adams, Oz, or Trebes Park.
This park is directly adjacent to The 606 and serves as a major point of access for residents.
Walsh Park is going under construction!
Walsh Park is located at 1722 North Ashland Avenue and serves as the eastern end of the Bloomingdale Trail, the heart of The 606. In 2014, The Chicago Park District received the Open Space and Land Acquisition Grant from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources to support improvements that will provide a family-friendly space that supports both the active recreation (athletic field, playground, etc.) and passive recreation (natural grass, trees, and community gardens). The design for Walsh Park includes a playground with a spray feature, outdoor fitness equipment, a gathering space, pathway, landscaping, and lighting improvements.
The south end of Walsh Park is scheduled to be closed from April to October. The Dog-Friendly Area will remain open, as will access to the Bloomingdale Trail. Keep an eye on our social media for updates or for more information email email@example.com.
Plans for the future Walsh Park are available to download here.
Walsh Park occupies the former site of a vacant building destroyed in a spectacular and deadly fire on July 7, 1970. Firefighter John P. Walsh, Jr. (1923-1970), for whom this West Town park is named, died five weeks after being critically injured while fighting the stubborn blaze. Walsh had served as a United States Marine before joining the Chicago Fire Department in 1951. He had been assigned to Hook & Ladder Company 44. Several months after Walsh's death, the Dana Civic Organization requested that the Chicago Park District develop the fire-scarred site as a neighborhood park. The park district had acquired the 2-acre property by the end of 1972, with the help of grant funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Improvements began the following year. The 2-acre park includes playground equipment, an athletic field, basketball hoops, and a sand box.